Tuesday, May 15, 2007

eXpress on Paper

As a child, eXpressing myself on paper was the easiest (after crying, of course). To be honest, I really didn't need paper- the walls or couches would do. Those lines and curves, I'm certain could not be understood by the adult world but it sure held a lot of meaning to one who only muttered 'ga ga goo goo' most of her day.

Growing older (and wiser), elders such as my teachers, parents and sister were always trying to find ways to change or improve the way I worked on paper. Me being the stubborn lil one, refused to learn for I was content with my princess with 6 strands of hair, sticks for hands and legs and a triangle for a dress. She looked so pretty below a blue sky with 2 or 3 clouds, a bird (shaped as a 'V') and a lil grass 'ere and there.

A few years later, I was eligible to enter a colouring competition. Smarties (a colourful chocolate) was holdong a competition across all schools and there was so much excitement. I was so confident that my years of learning (10 to be precise) would help me win but unfortunately, there were those who were more talented.

That didn't bring me down for I continued eXpressing myself through sketches (influenced by my big sis). That got me somewhere- an A+ in my art class. My creative side was also shown on the school boards with the charts I prepared (with a lil help from my mummy dear).

I have noticed that a lot about our character can be told through our the way we draw or even our handwriting. And one things for sure, there is no consistency in my work. Inconsistent behaviour, usually does not suit for paintings as detailed as the Mona Lisa, etc. So, I've found a way to eXpress myself in an inconsistent manner- through cartoons and stick figures.

No comments: